Mark Twain

Mark Twain

Friday, January 24, 2014

Leaving for Bulgaria Tonight

I'm setting out for Sofia, Bulgaria tonight on the overnight train.  The train leaves Belgrade at 9:50PM and arrives in Sofia tomorrow morning at 8:13AM (including setting clocks forward an hour - it's in a different time zone).  I'm leaving the apartment very soon, and I'll take my big bag (with no real valuables, mostly clothes) and drop it at the left luggage facility at the station.  Then I will have the rest of the day to do stuff in Belgrade until I go back to the station and get the train tonight, and I will be lugging around my daypack with all of my valuables.

Here are some pictures I took around Belgrade yesterday and this morning.

Selling books and records off of Knez Mihailova

Belgrade Fortress

Novi Beograd, taken from the fortress.  I like a lot of these communist era buildings, especially the one that has the round thing on top.

The monument to the liberation from Ottoman rule, at Belgrade Fortress.

The confluence of the Danube and Sava rivers, from the fortress.

At the fortress


I like the green bricks on this building.

The apartment building where I stayed (on the ground floor).


The train should be "interesting".   I have read that there are a lot of lowlifes and criminals who take that train.  I don't think I will get a lot of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment